Headquarters & Extension Project
HEADQUARTERS REDEVELOPMENT– history of the project
In 2006 we first talked about up grading the facilities at the Scout & Guide Headquarters at a Supporters Meeting held in The Eight Bells Public House. The first part of the development was to build a new storage shed for the troop and this was constructed in October 2007 and cost £6k.
Plans were draw up consisting of kitchen, showers and toilets within the space of the lobby area and tin hut area – plans were passed and granted in 2007. We had a change of chairperson and treasurer within the group and in 2009 Kate Mitchell became our new chairperson and the extension was put back on the agenda. In 2010 Graham Lumley (ex-Group Scout Leader) came on board to become our Project/Grant Manager and we had an on-site meeting with Leaders and Supporters Group and he decided the extension should be bigger than the ordinary design. We appointed a local architect and he drew up plans and these were passed at the end of 2010 consisting of three toilets, two showers, storage, lobby area, hall way, storage back room, kitchen and disabled toilet. A few parents helped move the pioneering pole rack to its now new position next to the storage shed and this was done in December 2010.
In May, June and July 2011 – we cleared out the garage and tin hut. The garage was taken down and transported to Ardleigh near Colchester and the Tin Hut internal walls, wall panelling and shelving was taken down by Eddie Gordon (ASL) and the toilet disconnected by Richard Ansell (Plumber & Canoe Skills Instructor). The tin hut given away to Boxford Scout Group – The Spinney Camp Site for storage of kayaks and boats and was taken down by Gordon Edgar (Camp Site Warden), parents, Explorers and Leaders. The flooring was cut up by Nigel Norton (ASL) using his chain saw and placed onto the wood pile in the camp site and the tin hut was transported over to Boxford using Nigel’s truck and we managed to take everything down, recycle materials at no charge to the group.
T5 builders were contracted to do the work and were on site on Monday 7th August 2011 as planned and the total cost of the project would be no more than £95k – this includes the extension (three toilets, two showers, disabled toilet room, kitchen, lobby area and storage room) and upgrade of electrics and mains water into the camp site.
Due to the building regulations and inspector from the council – the builder had to dig down to 2.4m for the foundations due to trees and this has cost us an extra £15k in more concrete, mixers, concrete pump, grab lorries and larger digger. Instead of a concrete floor we had a floating floor which has added more costs. PHASE ONE was completed at the end of September 2011 costing £30K. Graham managed to get grants from The Lesile Sell Charitable Trust (£1500); Braintree District Community Investment Partnership Fund (£25k); Bures Parish Councils (£200); Co-op Society (£1k); Suffolk Foundation Trust (£5k); Locality Budget (£1k); Essex County Council Big Society (£7500), Babergh District Council (£5k) and the group were given donations from Mount Bures Festival Scout Car Park Duty (£333); Three Horseshoes Public House Quiz Nights (£300); Waitrose Community Box (£446) and Bures Music Festival (£700) and the Supporters Group has raised a total of £25k over the last four years
The sewage connection was done in March 2012 as we were not allowed to connect to our existing cesspit – this cost us £1200 and the new electric connection from UK Power Networks £1200.
PHASE TWO begin in late August 2012 – this was for the block work, roof structure including roof lights.
PHASE THREE begin on Monday 1st October 2012 with the tussles and roof supports put into place. The felt roof, windows and lobby door was completed end of October and the internal walls for the disabled toilet and kitchen were built.
PHASE FOUR was completed in early December – this was for the doors to outside toilets, showers and storage room, soak a way and guttering. PHASE FIVE was for the electrics and plumbing, door way through to the main hall and plasterboard work, tiles in showers and this was completed over the next couple of months.
In March 2013 – a dedicated few parents’ help decorate the extension and the Graham handed over the keys to the group at the end of April 2013. The new kitchen, tiling and flooring was completed in August and September and the total cost of the extension came to £85k.
Graham Lumley opened the New Extension on Sunday 15th September 2013 at our small fete and barbeque. The Group is very grateful for all of Graham’s hard work in getting grants totalling £42k and managing the project – without his help the group would not have had these excellent new facilities to enjoy. Thank you Graham.
Over the winter of 2014 – the shower and toilet rooms were tiled out floor to ceiling costing £2k. The final piece of the project was completed in October 2014 this was for new cladding, insulation and fire exit door on the main headquarters building and we also updated our new outside floodlights now with sensors.